Cajun Black Beans with Cilantro Lime Rice
Flavorful black beans and rice topped with crema for a hearty and filling dinner!
- black beans 1lb, rinsed and debris removed
- onion 1, peeled and quartered
- garlic 6-8 cloves, peeled
- bay leaf 2
- cumin 1Tbsp
- chile powder 1Tbsp
- cayenne 1tsp
- lime 1, halved
- salt to taste
- white rice 1 cup per 2 people
- lime 1, halved
- cilantro 1 bunch
- chopped green onion if desired
- Mexican crema and garlic bread
Add ingredients to shopping list
If you don’t have Buy Me a Pie! app installed you’ll see the list with ingredients right after downloading it
- Rinse beans and remove any debris. Place in medium saucepan with all ingredients except salt. With the limes, squeeze both halves dry of their juice and then just throw the halves into the pot with the beans. Add water about an inch above beans. Bring to a boil over high heat and then lower heat to a simmer. Cover beans. Start checking after an hour for doneness. It may take up to 3 hours so allow yourself some time. Mine took nearly 3.
- When beans are done, remove bay leaves, onion, garlic and lime halves. Continue to simmer until the beans and juice are nice and thick. Add salt to taste. Serve over cilantro lime rice, directions below.
Cilantro Lime Rice
- Prepare rice according to instructions. For super flavorful rice, use half coconut milk and half water. I love coconut rice! Once rice is finished, squeeze the juice of one lime into rice. Chop a handful of cilantro and incorporate into rice. Stir to combine and salt to taste.
- Ladle beans on top of rice and drizzle some Mexican crema on top. I also like to top this with chopped green garden onion but that's optional.
- Get creative with this dish! Orange works instead of lime. Chicken or beef broth instead of water or coconut milk. Can also top with crumbled feta. Use your imagination, this is just a guide.
Adventures in Food & Love http://adventuresinfoodandlove.com/